In contemplation of the infinite...

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Life in the Scrabble fast lane!

Well, here I am in Portland for the 2006 Oregon Scrabble Open. So for those of you who haven't yet paid homage to my word-nerding majesty, this is your opportunity. It'll be good for my battered ego - I'm losing by a landslide!

My shiny new board arrived today, with custom graphics, resin tileholders, and its own built-in turntable! This cements my position as the coolest kid at the Scrabble tournament. (Yes, I can hear all the jokes - y'all just don't appreciate the inherent coolness). Hooray for my new board!

I've played eight games today, and have won only two of those. This is partially salvalged by the playing of 'qwerty', one of my favourite Scrabble words which I've never gotten to use before. The hotel we're playing at celebrated this momentous use of 'qwerty' by having both the elevator and the air conditioning shut down simultaneously. We're on the sixth floor. It was 32 degrees today. Try to imagine 150 or so Scrabble wizards all locked up together in a room with no windows that open and no air conditioning on one of the hottest days of summer. Then be glad that you weren't part of the magic!

In other news, moving has finished, and great rejoicing was had by the end. I drove the behemoth moving truck from Port Moody to UBC, then out to Abbotsford, and then to Surrey and back to Port Moody. It was made rather stressful by its size and lack of windows - I kept waiting to hear someone yell as I squished them! I send my blessings as a reverend (see notes on me to be updated on my holy status) to Beckie, Joergen, Scott and Jens for their assistance in the Liverpudlian Preparation. I'm now officially homeless and am relying on the kindness of friends and family and their various couches and rooms.

I have less than 11 Scrabble-free hours until tomorrow's ten hour session begins, so I shall bid you all adieu to study my two and three letter words like a good little linguist. Send triple word score thoughts my way!

2 Comments:

  • At 6:49 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why UBC and Abbotsford? That's like, FAR.

     
  • At 8:23 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Furniture went to Jens, who lives out by the UBC wild blue yonder. Stuff went to Beckie, who lives even further towards cowtown in the redneck capital that is Abbotsford. Sigh.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home