Let the Beatles begin!
I'm here, all in one piece after the gruelling 20 hour trek through airport after seemingly endless airport. Really, it was only Vancouver, Amsterdam and Manchester, but it just felt like more. It may have been the lack of moisturizer and lip balm, though, and the flaking of the skin that went with the desert-dry airplane air.
Some people have learned, after years of travelling, to pack light. Sadly, I am not among that select group of wise adventurers. I staggered to the check-in counter with two huge suitcases, two carryons, and an enormous green winter jacket. Usually, I heft my luggage onto the scale myself, thereby playing a visual mind game with the airline person. They look at all 115 pounds of me and just assume that it must be light for me to lift it, thus not checking the scale and letting me get away with ten tons of stuff. That effort didn't work out so well this time - it took two tries and an eventual running start to get it up there myself. The portly woman behind the counter raised her eyebrows ominously at me. "Packed a bit too much, did we?" she asked sardonically, before proceeding to charge me $40 in overweight luggage fees.
Certain people (Dan, this means you) seem to think that perhaps I bring things that aren't necessary. I would just like to state for the record that when I finally got to my dorm room, my favourite mug, the sheets and the quilt my grandmother made me were worth their weight in gold. So there. (Is sticking tongue out at all who mock my luggage attachment).
Ah, my dorm room. Not exactly a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but I have heaps of storage space and my own little sink. Thus far, there's no one else on my floor, so I may get lucky and have the (slightly dodgy) bathroom to myself. The bed is so far beyond small that I'm not even sure of the right word. It's actually been directly imported from Lilliput, and my 9-year-old goddaughter has a larger one. One of my arms actually dangles off the side - I can't imagine how someone taller than me manages - maybe they fold themselves up like a bat!
I've spent yesterday and today running around and getting things done - library card, cellphone (hooray for the cellphone!) and yes, unfreezing my funds. Tonight involves a truly massive shopping trip to put food in my uber-scary dorm kitchen. I am the owner of cupboard 67 - thinking of putting some stickers up to give it a little panache.
Met my supervisor for coffee and mulled over my thesis (Non-traditional protagonists in fantasy trilogies - FUN!), had lunch with my friend Phil, and went to the International Student Welcome Dinner, which involved both the Village People and chickpea stew. Not sure how I feel about either of those yet.
More later, but my epic shopping journey has to begin sometime, and now's as good a time as any!
Some people have learned, after years of travelling, to pack light. Sadly, I am not among that select group of wise adventurers. I staggered to the check-in counter with two huge suitcases, two carryons, and an enormous green winter jacket. Usually, I heft my luggage onto the scale myself, thereby playing a visual mind game with the airline person. They look at all 115 pounds of me and just assume that it must be light for me to lift it, thus not checking the scale and letting me get away with ten tons of stuff. That effort didn't work out so well this time - it took two tries and an eventual running start to get it up there myself. The portly woman behind the counter raised her eyebrows ominously at me. "Packed a bit too much, did we?" she asked sardonically, before proceeding to charge me $40 in overweight luggage fees.
Certain people (Dan, this means you) seem to think that perhaps I bring things that aren't necessary. I would just like to state for the record that when I finally got to my dorm room, my favourite mug, the sheets and the quilt my grandmother made me were worth their weight in gold. So there. (Is sticking tongue out at all who mock my luggage attachment).
Ah, my dorm room. Not exactly a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but I have heaps of storage space and my own little sink. Thus far, there's no one else on my floor, so I may get lucky and have the (slightly dodgy) bathroom to myself. The bed is so far beyond small that I'm not even sure of the right word. It's actually been directly imported from Lilliput, and my 9-year-old goddaughter has a larger one. One of my arms actually dangles off the side - I can't imagine how someone taller than me manages - maybe they fold themselves up like a bat!
I've spent yesterday and today running around and getting things done - library card, cellphone (hooray for the cellphone!) and yes, unfreezing my funds. Tonight involves a truly massive shopping trip to put food in my uber-scary dorm kitchen. I am the owner of cupboard 67 - thinking of putting some stickers up to give it a little panache.
Met my supervisor for coffee and mulled over my thesis (Non-traditional protagonists in fantasy trilogies - FUN!), had lunch with my friend Phil, and went to the International Student Welcome Dinner, which involved both the Village People and chickpea stew. Not sure how I feel about either of those yet.
More later, but my epic shopping journey has to begin sometime, and now's as good a time as any!

3 Comments:
At 10:38 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
Only $40 in overweight? Good lord, woman, what is WRONG with you? :)
I jest, of course. Glad you arrived safely. Will there be bed shopping in the future? I'm not sure lilliputian will do the trick.
At 3:30 a.m.,
Anonymous said…
Sadly, no bed shopping - I'm stuck with my toddler bed for the near future!
At 9:52 p.m.,
Anonymous said…
while the itsy bitsy bed sounds aweful, it is great that you will be able to do your wanted thesis and use Mercedes Lackey and her characters! Hope you're having a great time in Liverpool!
Post a Comment
<< Home