In contemplation of the infinite...

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Snow, Valentine's and dystopias.

Yes, there was snow in Liverpool. A few centimetres was all it took to send the city into a flurry of panic. (Did you get it? Snow causing a flurry - funny!) I attach photographic proof of me spending quality time enjoying the weather:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Now, look more closely at the photo and you'll notice (if you can get past my very yellow jacket, that is) that there is so little snow that you can still see the grass. That's still too much for the Liverpudlians, and with flakes still lazily drifting down, school was cancelled, roads were closed, and I was sent home from my temporary job "in reaction to the unusual weather conditions". It made me laugh.

Valentine's Day this year was quite possibly the best ever - Jon spoiled me completely and it was fab. Sadly, the whole trans-Atlantic issue left me without a date, so a bunch of us went to see 'Casablanca' on the big screen in a special Valentine's Day showing. It was really well done, and has left me inclined towards seeing more black and white movies than I have thus far in my cinematic career.

You can read the IMDB review (and the trivia, which is the best part) here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034583/

In other news, I've been working lots (at a rather unfortunate job involving telephone surveys) and this combined with my reading about dystopias (Swastika Night, 1984 and We, among others) has left me little time to wreak my usual amount of havok. Luckily, I'm done my telephonic stint at harassing the masses tonight, and am off Friday to see my friends Jack and Jerrold who are passing through London for the weekend. Great theatrical experiences shall follow, and bizarrely, it's March in a week - eek! (Yes, the rhyme was intentional. My poetic senses needed soothing).

Hope everyone had a fabulous warm fuzzy Valentine's Day, and I bid you a temporary adieu.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Unknown said…

    *gasp!* you'd NEVER seen Casablanca before?? And you lived with me for almost a year?!? How did I let that happen! :P The cool thing about that movie was that it was made while the war was still going, and won awards too! In '42!

    If you liked that movie, I would suggest more of Bogie's (Bogart's) darker/investigative stuff like The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon (latter better, imho) or for fun, watch Sabrina - it's got both Bogie and Audrey Hepburn!

    Liverpool rather sounds even more like Vancouver in its reaction to a pithy amount of snow. Silly people and their silly fears of a bit of white fluff. And I duly rolled my eyes at your pun =)

    Good luck with all the readings and your telephone survey job! (what happened to IELTS?)

     
  • At 8:33 a.m., Blogger Sunshine said…

    Oh, I'd seen it, but not for about 15 years...and I did watch Sabrina, so your DVD collection was duly appreciated ;)

    Hope the job hunt is going well!

    PS IELTS is alive and well, but I do other part time gigs in addition - have to pay for circus school somehow!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home