In contemplation of the infinite...

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Actually learning stuff.

Good afternoon, my dulcet darlings. I have begun classes, and am now well on my way to being even geekier than before. An almost insurmountable goal, I know, but one should always shoot for the stars. My first class was Genre Definitions on Monday afternoon, where we got into a lively discussion over whether Frankenstein should be classified as Sci-Fi or Gothic. Note for the laymen (or people or whatever) in the audience - Frankenstein was actually the name of the scientist. The big green guy with the bolt in his head of movie fame is actually (very creatively) deemed 'The Creature'. There was a period for the first few years after my goddaughter was born where my best friend and I used to call her "Creature Baby" - I guess that should end since "The Creature" is all green and murdering and stuff, and we'd hate for her to pick up inappropriate habits.

Anyways! Moving on! Time and Consciousness is tomorrow at noon, where we will be working on time travel. Am going to see what I can do about a teleportation device, as that would save me the enormous sums of airline dollars that leave my bank account.

Other than class, there has been great sightseeing accomplished. I am going to attempt to paste pictures below - someone will have to let me know whether or not it works.

Made it to the beach. Yes, Liverpool is a port city, and therefore does have actual sand. There was this artist who apparently had a lot of time and a huge sense of personal worth - the government gave him an enormous grant, which he wisely spent on 100 casts of HIMSELF and he then scattered his bronze selves along several kilometres of sand. It's really offputting from afar - you see all of these solitary figures standing in various parts of the beach, looking morosely into the distance. Below is me bonding with one of said statues. Please note the anatomical correctness:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The sand on the top of that stretch of beach is really light, and scatters through the wind and runs in eddies around you - it's really neat! And yes, those are high heeled boots that I've been schlepping around in.

Have also begun the process of museum and gallery-ing...there are five in town, all of which are enormous and free. I have made the acquaintance of the others in my program, and took Christian, the nice boy from Luxembourg, with me into the five-floored mega-museum.

There are also several churches of note - the one below is my favourite because it looks like an enormous spaceship, both inside and out. You aren't allowed to take any photos from inside, but here it is from the steps:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(I won't totally fill this up with photos because then it will take decades to load, and then I would no longer be entitled to be annoyed with Ronna, who does just that (luckily, she makes me dinner often enough and has enough charm that I forgive her for it :) ).

I am going slightly stir-crazy with the amount of time I have on my hands at the moment - hoping to be gainfully employed fairly soon , just to keep me busy!

Dinner and a wander down to the student guild building beckon me, so I shall bid you all a good evening and send warm fuzzy thoughts in the general direction of Canada (and in the directions of those who are elsewhere, such as my friend Paul, who HAD to move to Thailand when there was a coup!).

3 Comments:

  • At 11:59 a.m., Blogger My5flutterbies said…

    oh whatever.. you love all the pictures. So sometimes computers crash... it's all good. Well, I am cossing my fingers you become employed soon.
    Oh, and I am glad you are having fun in your sci fi classes.

     
  • At 1:04 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL - I so want to make bronze casts of myself and spread them around at random points. that would be awesome.

    Glad you're enjoying classes. we're actually discussing gender definitions in my class as well... but moreso about transvestism in Elizabethan literature. funness.

    I love that church! that would be the bestest church ever to go to, well, second to yours, once you have a congregation and such ;)

    Hope you're having a great time! Don't study too hard!

     
  • At 10:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Christian, the nice boy from Luxembourg"

    *cuddles up to you affectionately*

    Thanks for that! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home