In which Mommy and I look for leprechauns.
My mom was here last week, taking advantage of my avoidance of all things scholarly in the grand tradition of spring break. We did a bit of jaunting around Liverpool before heading to the land of green things and leprechauns as a somewhat belated tribute to St Patrick's Day.
Dublin is hideously expensive, nearly as much so as London, and a great deal of our trip was spent gasping in shock at prices. It's a beautiful city, though, and very walkable. Saw Trinity College, where Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift and Oscar Wilde once trod. It was also among the first university to allow women to study, in 1903. I looked longingly around at the lush greenery, the sparkling clean campus and the smiling students, and then thought of Liverpool and sighed. Ah, well.
I found myself a new house while I was there:

The problem is going to be compressing it and sneaking it into my luggage! And finding land to put it on, but that's easier than the first. (thinking) Hmmm.. unless I fit the land in my suitcase too!

We did make it out to see the sacred rocks that Mom had set her heart on (I know you can all hear me heaving a sigh), but sadly, my camera died (really! honest!) before we got there, so no photos of random stones for anyone to achieve spiritual enlightenment from.

We had tea and dessert at teeny little Irish coffee shops, and arrived home exhausted and without leprechauns, but having eaten some good food and wandered around some neat little castles and graveyards and other such Irish-y goodness.
I leave you now to turn to Ursula Le Guin and her anthropological masterpieces. Hope you all survived Friday the 13th (and happy birthday Daniela!)
Dublin is hideously expensive, nearly as much so as London, and a great deal of our trip was spent gasping in shock at prices. It's a beautiful city, though, and very walkable. Saw Trinity College, where Bram Stoker, Jonathan Swift and Oscar Wilde once trod. It was also among the first university to allow women to study, in 1903. I looked longingly around at the lush greenery, the sparkling clean campus and the smiling students, and then thought of Liverpool and sighed. Ah, well.
I found myself a new house while I was there:

The problem is going to be compressing it and sneaking it into my luggage! And finding land to put it on, but that's easier than the first. (thinking) Hmmm.. unless I fit the land in my suitcase too!

We did make it out to see the sacred rocks that Mom had set her heart on (I know you can all hear me heaving a sigh), but sadly, my camera died (really! honest!) before we got there, so no photos of random stones for anyone to achieve spiritual enlightenment from.

We had tea and dessert at teeny little Irish coffee shops, and arrived home exhausted and without leprechauns, but having eaten some good food and wandered around some neat little castles and graveyards and other such Irish-y goodness.
I leave you now to turn to Ursula Le Guin and her anthropological masterpieces. Hope you all survived Friday the 13th (and happy birthday Daniela!)

1 Comments:
At 9:09 a.m.,
My5flutterbies said…
Missing such spiritually enlightening rock pictures brings me great sadness. Forgiveness of such a misdeed will come in the way of playing a game of hide and seek in your new house. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home