In contemplation of the infinite...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Creepy books, and the beginning of my thesis.

I'm quite the little blogger lately! My thesis work has begun with the watching of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer". Really. It's a hard life. Given that my topic is death and the afterlife and their portrayal in science fiction, Buffy fits in quite nicely. Jon has pointed out that she reminds him a lot of me, which I'm taking in the most complementary of fashions, although he might feel differently if I were to start walking around with a wooden stake and some holy water. (Is smiling to herself about being able to bless water, but refraining from comment so as not to offend her Mommy)

I came across a children's book that looked like it might be good for thesis work called "Soul Taker" by Celia Rees, finished it this morning and am thoroughly spooked. It's about this overweight teenage boy named Lewis who gets picked on and is madly in love with the prettiest girl at school. He gets a job at a toystore, with a toymaker who makes eerily lifelike puppets, complete with human hair. The Toymaker gives him health and diet advice, and Lewis starts losing weight and dating the girl he has a crush on. Meanwhile, bodies are turning up in the city, completely hairless and with no sign of foul play except for a look of terror on their faces. Lewis finds the toymaker's secret room one day, and discovers that the toymaker is constructing a pair of lifesize puppets that look exactly like Lewis and his girlfriend, and they will be next in his mechanized puppet collection. VERY creepy, and I actually had to finish it in the morning rather than at night to prevent nightmares! It should prove useful in my thesis, though.

Enough of such pedantic chatter. Dinner calls, and with it, the question of truth in Ursula Le Guin. I accept thoughts on the matter if anyone is so inclined!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, there's one episode of Buffy that should prove fruitful: the one where they try to bring her mom back to life. Oh and the preceding episode where her mom dies. Sad, but it may be helpful. Watch it with a box of kleenex.

    You might also want to watch (god forbid) Star Treks II and III (you can just watch the end bit of Star Trek II), and possibly Star Trek IV (Spock's "relearning" of who and what he is following his resurrection).

    And of course, then you'll have to watch the original series episode "Space Seed"

    Hey, Ricardo Montalban was hot at one time :)

     
  • At 10:18 a.m., Blogger My5flutterbies said…

    Buffy. Reverand Sunshine. Buffy. Reverand Sunshine......Oh its just to beautiful for words. Still would feel better about this is you watched a Star Trek episode. Buffy will do til then. As for the book, I would have had to put it down for the night as well. I got an idea of what to get you for your birthday now though. lol

     
  • At 7:54 a.m., Blogger jonny death-star said…

    As long as the only stakes aimed at me are medium rare and covered in BBQ sauce, I'm OK with it. :-)

     
  • At 2:16 p.m., Blogger Sunshine said…

    Well, you might get some impaled with marshmallows and hot dogs over a fire, but I assume those fall into the 'provision of food and supplies' category, punny boy ;)

     
  • At 12:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There's also the whole Klingon mythos in Star Trek where the honourable warriors get their premium spot in Stovokor after death--think Norse mythology and you'll be pretty close.

    As for Buffy... definitely gold there. You might want to look into the series Angel to round out the package.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home