In contemplation of the infinite...

Thursday, May 17, 2007

One week to Europe, bay-bee!

I am, as I type, propping my mug of tea up on a book about Cartesian dualism. I know, you're jealous. Essentially, it says that the body and soul are separate entities. This is useful given my dissertation topic choice, which is immortality and death in sci fi and fantasy. Dementors sucking souls of of wizards mouths, vampires having their own social sphere and intervampire relationships, etc etc. You know, the usual stuff.

My final papers are due tomorrow. And yes, ye who doubt my majesty, they're done...I'm no longer the 'last minute wonder' student that I used to be, and have actually had them done for a couple of weeks now. (20-year-old me is gawping in shock, but hey - things change!).

What this means is that as of tomorrow when I hand them in, I'm officially DONE DONE DONE, and can concentrate on the behemoth known as my thesis. For all of four days until Jon gets here, that is :) We leave for Paris a week today, and so I've been working away on actually getting something down on paper to make it slightly less arduous a process for when I get back.

I've given myself all of a month to write my entire 60 page dissertation (NB: dissertation and thesis are used interchangeably here. It's a po-tay-to/po-tah-toe thing), so it'll be interesting to see what kind of madness this will result in.

Posts from Europe will happen sporadically, when Internet access and time away from sightseeing and doing weird and wonderful activities allow (caving and hot air ballooning spring to mind!). I will be replying to emails, though, so feel free to drop me a line if I haven't updated and you want to check that I'm not languishing in Dracula's castle somewhere. As well, those of you with summer birthdays may not receive the usual accolades, so consider this a bulk summer 'happy birthday' in advance!

I bid you all adieu for the moment and will likely write from Turkey around the end of the month. That's from Turkey, not about Turkey. Thanksgiving's ages away still.

Happy Victoria Day, and may the barbecues be large and the Frisbees plentiful.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:39 a.m., Blogger jonny death-star said…

    Well done on finishing your papers! It's a shame I packed all my philosophy books, I have one on Descartes that is pretty thorough.

     
  • At 9:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OMG.

    Congrats.

    Although you have gone all Cartesian on me.

    Cogito ero sum

    Immortality and scifi: fascinating (as Spock would say) (who is a character from Star Trek and not Benjamin).

    Seriously, chicklet. If you want an editor, I am your woman.

     
  • At 9:43 a.m., Blogger Sunshine said…

    Little do you know that you are both already on my hit list of unfortunate reader-victims :)

     
  • At 11:45 p.m., Blogger My5flutterbies said…

    You are gone... I am twiddling my thumbs while I await an update.
    Twiddle.. twiddle.. twiddle..
    twiddle.. twiddle...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home